Monday, March 26, 2007

The garden


In my haste to get this blog going, I have forgotten to describe the garden.


Well it is big. We live in a flat and this is a mammoth garden - even for a house. It is about 70x50 feet with a large patio and area of trees at the bottom end. There is also a lot of lawn, one large bed in the corner and some narrow beds along one end.


We've decided to grow some vegetables and have dug two of the three beds already. We went for the raised option after doing some research and have mixed in some manure (which was very mature and didn't smell a bit). Using "gravel boards" (wooden boards), we were able to create low rise beds and have even carved out a path between the two. The beds are 12x3 feet which sounds big, but once you see them laid out it doesn't seem so crazy after all. Mr is in charge of the veggie patches, and I am in charge of the rest (fruit, herbs and flowers). (Mr is my other half, my garden pal, my housemate).
It's a sunny day in March and we look forward to sunny days in the summer when we get to enjoy the fruits of our labour.

No comments: