Monday, May 7, 2007

Lemon grass and basil

The lemon grass seedlings are getting on okay. They seem to be growing quite slowly, and I have to confess, I have no idea what they will look like as "adults". Reading the veg book, I now know that they can grow up to 1.5 metres tall which is pretty big. However they do better in a greenhouse, which is why I repeat my claim that I think we need one... Or we could get a shed that doubles up as a greenhouse....? Mmmmm. I'll have to do some research.


The basil looks like it's struggling a little. Only one of them has had a good spurt since being repotted in the newspaper pots. However as you can get basil everywhere, I don't really mind if they don't make it.


The pic shows the basil in the background and lemongrass in the foreground. Lemongrass, funnily enough, looks like grass.


It has been raining quite hard here for the last two hours and I popped outside in my waterproofs for a potter around. The onions in the veggie patch look a bit sorry for themselves having taken a bit of battering from the wind. I also think that the runner beans have a case of halo blight - a lethal bacterial infection which requires digging and burning!!! The blackcurrant bush is fighting a losing battle against the aphids. I really need to give it a good going over and pick them all off. Although it's a bit of a big job!

1 comment:

Il grande chef said...

Very interesting blog!
Bye bye