Sunday, June 24, 2007

Runner beans


The runner beans are doing very well. At first we were a bit dubious about getting a crop especially after an attack of aphids, wind damage, nosey foxes and all sorts, they have recovered. They've quickly clambered up to the top of the canes and are winding themselves around each other and back over adjacent canes.


However, in order to actually get the plants to produce runner beans we need some bees. Bees, which I am coming round to the idea of, are very very important flying beasties in the garden. They pollinate the flowers - remembering the old GCSE knowledge. However there are stories which say that the bee is in decline. What can we do to help boost their numbers again? (A question I never thought I'd ask - I've even looked up "bee nesting boxes". However the word "colony" sends a shiver down my spine). It's too late now as we should have put a bee box by now. Maybe next year, when I have also invested in a bee keepers outfit.

No comments: