Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Monster slugs

Monster monster monster slugs in the garden. I decided to clear up the border underneath the oak tree. It had been covered in leaves since we moved in last October - the leaves hadn't even begun to decompose as they are tough dry little things. As I got raking, I noticed these enormous slimy beasts. They were FAT - about the size of a clench fist (of a small child). Then one started to move (I had removed its home after all) and it looked like a small legless tiger. It must have been about 5 inches long. These things have been eating our veg.


2 comments:

beachbird said...

In the last twenty-four hours I have collected enough slugs to fill a gallon zippered plastic bag. The leaves on my hostas and black-eyed Susans look like green Swiss cheese. Several articles I have read recommend pesticides containing iron phosphate as safe to eliminate the gooey pests. I intend to try that tomorrow. Good luck!

Georgie Porgie said...

Thanks! We've got some pellets now - the iron ones and I've found loads of empty snail shells since putting them out. They are horrid things and have eaten nearly everything in sight. Unfortunately our garden has far too many hiding places (and breeding) places for them, so it is my mission to clear them all up.